Comments

I post on this site less as the other demands on my time shout for attention. Just too much going on these days! I'll be back when I can, because I do live with a goddess by my side.

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Science and sprituality of Solstice


There's the scientific part of it.

December Solstice in Asheville, North Carolina, U.S.A. is on
Sunday, December 21, 2014 at 6:03 PM EST

2 pm shadows cast northerly on 12/19/14

Then there's the spiritual part of it.

Our whole planet will stop tilting completely for that moment in time, though fortunately it keeps spinning.

I ask you to observe that moment as a stopping time place for yourself as well.
You could stand at attention...lie down, sit in meditation...just something different.  Salutations of some kind are due.

See what happens.  What is your experience?

I have often marked on a wall or floor where I live, the point that is the furthest the sun reaches on that day, at that time...as it's at its furthest declination to the earth.  It returns yearly to that same point on the floor...if I calculate the time right.

Just think of Newgrange and Stonehenge...yep.  Those astronomers knew how to calculate the time just fine.  Salutations to our wise ancestors. 

1 comment:

Folkways Note Book said...

Oh I like this post -- never thought of marking the spot on the floor where the light reaches its apex of the winter solstice. I think the "wise men" of the past were these early astronomers.
-- barbara