Comments

I post on this site less as the other demands on my time shout for attention. Just too much going on these days! I'll be back when I can, because I do live with a goddess by my side.

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Breath and meditation

I recently spent all day with another woman, doing a pottery show.  I knew it could get stressful, so told my friend that I would be taking intentional meditative moments whenever I could.  I would just go "away" and spend a moment or two grounding myself. (I planned to do it at 5 minutes past the hour if possible.) She liked the idea, and I noticed her sitting in a meditative pose with her eyes closed a few times.  I could do it just staring into space and saying the mantra I've connected with my own meditative trances.

Then a few days ago I was pleased to read about breath and meditation.

Just Breathe: The Practice of Permission, Affirmation, & Dedication

Posted by on in Studies Blogs

Daily Practice is giving ourself the permission to breathe. It is accepting that the world will keep spinning regardless of whether I am in it or not, so why not take a moment for myself. It is just one moment.... And so I ask, are you breathing? Right now, wherever you might be reading this, are you giving yourself the permission to breathe just one deep breath with intention? If not, then let this be your invitation. If that is the only intentional breath you have taken or will take today, that is good enough, because you are good enough.
Thanks Erick!

Since I also have COPD with breathing treatments 3 times a day, as well as lots of medications, this was an important reminder of the connection that I haven't been practicing...breath and meditation together.  I usually do my yoga-ish poses before meditating, but don't do breathing as part of it.  No longer!

No comments: